“Cloud of Many Witnesses: Honoring Our Ancestors”
Our 26th annual conference
Come join us for the conference as we explore what it means to Honor Our Ancestors! What does this mean exactly? Glad you asked! In the U.S., we remember those who have fought for freedom, brotherhood, and civil rights. As Orthodox Christians, we honor the saints and martyrs who have gone before us—our spiritual ancestors. This year we have incredible speakers to facilitate thoughtful and spiritually-enriching conversations as we learn from those who have lived lives of great faith and action. All are welcome to come!
Video and audio recordings of the conference lectures are collected here.
November 8-10th, 2019
St. John the Wonderworker Orthodox Church in Atlanta, Georgia
543 Cherokee Ave. SE, Atlanta, GA, 30312
Hebrews 12:1-2: “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God”
The conference fee is $100, payable at the conference by check, cash, or card. This registration fee includes five meals through the weekend: Friday dinner, all meals Saturday, and Sunday lunch.
Limited scholarships are available.
The Registration Process is two fold:
- Registration Questionnaire
Note: Registration will not be complete without the completion of registration questionnaire and receipt of payment.
Full Conference fee option: Click Here
Prorated Conference Fee option (single day registration or scholarship): Click Here
More questions? Contact bsmbatlanta@
450 Capitol Ave. SE, Atlanta GA, 30312
Group Rate available for the first 20 rooms.
Make Reservation under ‘Brotherhood of St Moses’.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Atlanta Downtown
111 Cone St NW, Atlanta, GA 30303
No group rate.
Schedule and Speakers
Friday, Nov. 8th
1:00pm: Optional Group Tour of the National Center for Civil and Human Rights
Registration for the group tour has closed as of October 30.
3:00 p.m. – Check-in Opens
5:00 p.m. – Welcome and Introductory Talk: Fr. Moses Berry
6:00 p.m. – Taste of Ethiopia
7:30 p.m. – Speaker: Fr. Constantino
8:40 p.m. – Speaker: Mother Katherine
Saturday, Nov. 9th
10:00 a.m. – Speaker: Fr Paul Abernathy, Racial Reconciliation Workshop
11:00 a.m. – Speaker: Dcn. Jonathan Reavis
12:00 p.m. – Lunch
1:30 p.m. – Speaker: Fr. Jerome Sanderson
2:00 p.m. – Keynote Speaker: Abbot Damascene
3:30 pm – Speaker: Fr. Samuel, with Q&A
4:15 p.m. – Panel Discussion
6:00p.m. – Vespers
6:45p.m. – Soul Food Dinner
7:30 p.m. – Speaker: Mother Johanna (tentative)
8:00 p.m. – Speaker: Fr. Alexii (tentative)
8:30p.m. – Canon of Racial Reconciliation
9:00p.m. – Open Forum Group Discussion
Sunday, Nov. 10
10:00 a.m. – Divine Liturgy
12:00 p.m. – Lunch / Clergy Q&A, Closing Remarks
We are honored to have as our keynote speaker Abbot Damascene of Saint Herman of Alaska Monastery, a national speaker and author/co-author of the following books:
- Fr Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works
- Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age
- Christ the Eternal Tao
- An Unbroken Circle: Linking Ancient African Christianity to the African-American Experience
His Grace Bishop Longin, previously scheduled as the conference keynote speaker, is unable to speak at the conference due to an emergency situation requiring his presence elsewhere.
Father Moses Berry
- Priest of the Orthodox Church in America
- Curator of the Ozarks Afro-American Heritage Museum
- National speaker on African American history
- Contributor to An Unbroken Circle: Linking Ancient African Christianity to the African American Experience
Mother Katherine Weston
- Nun in the Orthodox Church
- Master’s in pastoral care and counseling
- Licensed Counselor
- Author and International Speaker
Father Paul Abernathy
- Priest in the Orthodox Christian Church
- Director of FOCUS Pittsburgh
- CEO of the FOCUS Pittsburgh Free Health Center
- National Speaker
Father Alexii Altschul
- Hieromonk of the Orthodox Christian Church
- Founder of Holy Archangel Michael and All Angels Skete
- Co-founder of the Brotherhood of Saint Moses the Black
- Founder of Reconciliation Services in Kansas City
- Author and National Speaker
Father Jerome Sanderson
- Priest of the Orthodox Christian Church
- Author and National Speaker
- Iconographer and Woodcarver
Deacon Jonathan Reavis
- Deacon in the Orthodox Christian Church
- Blogger and Speaker
You must be logged in to post a comment.